As fitness coaches, we’re all about helping our clients reach the goals they set for themselves. We’re here to support you, encourage you, even push you a bit when necessary. But it’s not always easy to reach the goals you want. Here a few ways that you can better increase your odds for success!
1. Setting realistic, achievable goals. We so applaud the spirit of those who set big goals! And it’s not to say that they can’t be achieved – but probably not in a week….
You may already be familiar with the concept of SMART goals, that is, goals that are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely.
• Specific in terms of what needs to be accomplished and the actions you’ll take to achieve it.
• Measurable means “I want to reduce body fat by 5%” rather than “I want to look better.
• Attainable – your goals need to be challenging, but not extreme.
• Realistic – You have to believe that you can accomplish it!
• Timely – Set a time frame to accomplish your goals – 3 months, 6 months, and longer – you need a specific date for completion.
2. Overcome your limiting factors. What is a limiting factor? Well, simply put, it’s anything that you perceive as a barrier to reaching your goals. It can be physical limitations, or time constraints, or even emotional barriers. The important thing in addressing limiting factors is in recognizing what they are, what you think they might be, and then figuring out a way past them. And we can help!
3. Defining a strong WHY. It’s always easier to reach a goal when life is humming along, when your schedule is perfect. But life is hardly ever that way, and when the going gets tough, knowing WHY you’re trying to accomplish something helps you get past the tough times.
4. Take advantage of the power of LESS. This is how you avoid overwhelm in reaching your goals. By breaking a main goal into smaller steps, chunking it down to bite-size activity, you’re more likely to be able to reach your goals, step by step. This is the power of LESS!
5. Build in some accountability. We’re all in this together! It may just be human nature, but there’s something powerful about having an accountability partner to work with on your goals. It keeps you in check when you’re tempted to veer off the path you’ve set. And it’s also nice to be able to celebrate the little successes along the way!
6. Be aware of your social network. Your social network can help make or break your goals. If there are negative people in your life, don’t let them derail what you want to accomplish. And at the same time, take advantage of every positive influence you have – and count Personally Fit in there – to get to where you want to go. We don’t believe that a positive mindset is enough to get you what you want, without the right accompanying activity, but negativity can defeat you before you’re barely out of the gate.
When working with clients, we always stress that the goals must be theirs, and not ours. You’re not there to satisfy trainer goals – you’re there to reach your own.
How can we help you reach your health and fitness goals?